I love peanut noodle salad, but sometimes I don’t have the noodles and we have a glut of lettuce, so I thought I’d try using the lettuce as noodles. The rest of the ingredients came about from a traditional Korean dish called bimbopbap (rice bowl with mixed vegetables).
Spicy Peanut Dressing (adapted from La Dolce Vegan, by Sarah Kramer)
- 3 TB peanut butter (I used Big Spoon Peanut Butter)
- 2 TB water or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 TB soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp agave
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp ginger
To make the salad:
- Mix all of the ingredients above to make spicy peanut dressing (I usually just toss all of them into a food processor and blend). You want the dressing to be a little fluid, not thick, so add more water as necessary.
- Chop lettuce into thin strips, like noodles. Mix some of the peanut dressing with the lettuce, completely covering the leaves with the dressing. Put in serving bowls.
- Put the following on top of the lettuce (click for the recipes): roasted tofu, sesame cucumber pickles, steamed broccoli, radish salad, roasted mushrooms (toss sliced shiitake mushrooms with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper and roast at 400 F for 20-35 minutes)
- Add more peanut sauce and garnish with scallions, if desired, and serve.