Summer is definitely here. You can tell when there are bushels and bushels of green beans at the market.
If you are looking for a quick way to cook green beans without adding a pot to the stove, consider roasting them. They get soft and a little bit sweet, and complement the spices and cheese very nicely. It’s really a great side dish for any meal, and the leftovers are good cold with a bit of red wine vinegar.
Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan (replicated from Shutterbean)
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 TB olive oil
- a pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Chapel Hill Creamery Asiago
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place green beans, olive oil, pepper flakes and lemon juice on a baking sheet and toss well. Season with salt & pepper and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Toss green beans and continue to cook another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top of green beans and cook for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm with squeeze of fresh lemon juice on top.